Re: Compression and 87 Octane

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Compression and 87 Octane
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 05:10:37 -0700 (PDT)
I seriously doubt that you'd be able to run 87 octane on a TR6 with 9.0
compression.  Heck, I didn't even run such a low octane with the stock
8.5:1 compression.  Better to spend a few extra bucks on the good stuff
(92+ octane) and have some piece of mind.  Detonation will take care of
those cast aluminum pistons pretty quickly.  An expensive mistake.  If
you want to go to 9:1, run high octane gas.  If you want to stay at 87,
I wouldn't think anything over 8.5 is safe, and even that may be risky.
 As always, when doing a compression upgrade, it's better to take a
little off the head than a lot.  You can always take more off the head
later and bump the compression up a bit more, but you can't put any
back on!

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

http://mail.yahoo.com/