No reverse gear!!!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: No reverse gear!!!
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:32:35 +1200
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a small problem with my saloon Triumph. I have no reverse gear! The
gearbox is the same as my '73 TR6 and has a J-type overdrive.

I reversed halfway up my drive, heard a bang, and promptly rolled back down
the drive.

Moving the gearlever in and out of reverse feels normal, except it doesn't
do anything. All forward gears work normally and are quiet.

Tonight I will drain the oil to see if there are any lumpy bits. I will
replace the gearbox with an ordinary non OD box this weekend.

Has anyone come across this problem before?
Is this a relatively common problem?
Is it likely to be an easy fix, or am I looking at a complete rebuild?

I'm not to stressed about fixing the gearbox, but I am in serious trouble
for being late in picking up my better half to go to the movies - boy, it's
gonna take a while to live that one down!!

Regards

Bernard Robbins

NEC New Zealand Ltd
Network Solutions