Re: Overdrive troubles

To: "6Pack List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive troubles
From: "Ken Davis" <kenjdavis@home.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:35:34 -0700
Tim,
thought I'd give me 2 cents worth here.  Not to put the fear into
you, but I suffered similar problems with the O/D.  Would very
rarely, drop out of o/d into 4th, and then when flickomng the
switch would not engage, but suddenly wham - it did.
I don't know if my o/d has problems as it isn't torn apart yet.
but the gearboc is.  The car "suddenly" (son had it for a week)
wouldn't go into reverse, and the o/d seemed always to be on.
well, it came out 4 of july and went to Jim, my jag and super
Brit car mechanical wizard.  Pulled apart on the wednesday, he
found a messy, expensive, but not too bad problem.  my choice of
word - the idler shaft-- in the gear box, lower one... has a
bearing rod thru it, with floating needle roller bearing.
Somewhere along the road, one bearing then another then all of
them gave up.  Completely out, chipped into little pieces, much
damage to the bearing mount area, and proactivcally destoryed the
shaft.  Case was full of oil and little metal pieces.  The new
pieces are on their way, and then the o/d will be disassembled.
Jim felt there wasn't a problem with the o/d as it did work, it
just didn't disengage.  So He got a rebuild kit for that also.
He's going to strip it down, clean, repair, rebuild, reassemble
and give it back to me next week (I hope) so I can put it back
in.
Okay, after that story, what's my message.  Gear oil is cheap.
get the car/gearbox warm, and drain all the oil from the gearbox
check for little metal pieces.  if none, do a refill on it.  the
box and o/d share the same oil, so maybe a flush will help it...
Hope it does...

Ken
73 TR6  (munney pit)
87 XJ6 SIII ('nutha munney pit)