Risks of the "start" position on a battery charger

To: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Risks of the "start" position on a battery charger
From: Bert Van der Stee <bvdstee1@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:19:53 +0200
Dear six-packers,

Impatient because of the nice weather, the TR6's battery was quickly
charged and the car started with the battery charger in the "start"
position, where the charger is supporting the battery to avoid draining it.
 The car started beautifully of course (with the obligatory smoke and
phantastic noise).

Only the same evening (and after about 30 miles of distance), the car did
not want to start any more.  First time it left me down.  Okay, I admit it,
I only have it for about 3 years, but still.

Okay, battery problem probably - it is already about 4 years old so ... but
unfortunately some more tests on the battery showed that was not it.
And after some tests I appear to have a bad ground somewhere - I can
measure voltage between the negative lead and the negative battery pole,
and this without anything consuming power.

Conclusion - be careful when testing all the possibilities of your new
battery charger ... appears to be hazardous for 28-year old wiring !

Regards,
Bert
72 TR6