Fwd: Re: Transmission fluids

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: Transmission fluids
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:35:27 -0700 (PDT)
--WebTV-Mail-12107-1302

Hee's a little more about our choices of transmission lubricants for the
TR6. See attached response from Red Line...

--WebTV-Mail-12107-1302

Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 15:09:36 +0000
To: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
From: Dave Granquist <Dave@redlineoil.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission fluids

>As part of the tech support group for the Triumph TR6 club web line, one
>of the owners mentioned the use of your (synthetic) tranny fluid in his
>'75. It was my impression that synthetic fluid was actually "too slick"
>for proper action of the syncros. Can you shed a little light on this?
>Thanks.
>
>Dick Taylor

In the TR6 transmission I would recommend the Red Line MT-90, this is a
full synthetic GL-4 gear lube. It is not too slippery for the synchros. The
slipperiness of the fluid is a separate characteristic of the fluid other
than the base stock used. The slipperiness is primarily a factor of the
friction modifier used. It is certainly possible to have a petroleum gear
lube that is too slippery for the synchros and possible for a synthetic
fluid with the proper balance of friction modifiers to not be too slippery
such as the MT-90.

Thank you for your interest in Red Line Oil.

--WebTV-Mail-12107-1302--