More on Half shaft lubricants

To: "6Pack List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: More on Half shaft lubricants
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 07:22:42 +1200
Mike and Kai,

A friend with a Triumph saloon car which he has owned from new has always
used a graphite based grease in the rear half shafts. Now the car has
around 450,000 miles on the clock and there is less wear in his half shafts
than there would be in most saloons at around 100,000 miles. The theory is
if the grease dries out, the splines will still be lubricated by the
graphite which is quite a good lubricant (remember the old trick if you
have a squeaky door hinge in your home, grind a pencil lead into the hinges).

Cheers
Bernard
'71 2500PI
'73 TR6PI (soon to have the seats redone).

At 07:55 6/07/00 -0400, Mike Brinker wrote:
>Kai,
>There are two reasons why anti-sieze works well for splines.  First,
>Anti-sease has graphite in it.  This acts as the lubricant of sorts.
>Second, if you have used anti-sieze, you might remember how well it stuck to
>your metal.  When greasing splines, many times, the grease gets flung
>outward away from the spline.  The anti-sieze tends to hold on the the
>spline better. By the way, the half-shaft has a grease fitting in it and
>does get greased from there.
>I have had no problems with this treatement to the splines.  I learned of
>this from a reputable mechanic who does this to all of the IRS cars he works
>on.
>
>Hope that helps.
>
>Mike Brinker
>74 TR6