Re: Brake Warning Light

To: Chris Young <pzs83j@ndc.gmeds.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Warning Light
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:37:14 -0700 (PDT)
Chris,

As you know, I've got the identical setup on my car (except I've got
1.65 roller rockers).  I don't think you could get the car to run lean
enough to get the header glowing.  It may be possible that you've got
the thing running way too rich, and are sending raw fuel into the
header whereupon it is burning and heating the header up.  I've got my
triple stromberg needles set at the lean end, I think two full turns
away from full lean.  This allows it to run right at most rpm's, but it
runs rich as hell at idle (need to experiment with different needles to
get this right).  I'm using stock TR6 needles, which I assume is what
you are doing too.  Check the cam timing very carefully, as you stated,
this could be the source of your troubles.  When I put my cam in and
timed it, Good's instructions said you could retard the cam timing a
few degrees (I think he said 4 degrees retarded) in order to get more
low end power.  I did this.  Make sure you are using a dial indicator
and good crankshaft degree wheel to find and mark TDC, then use the
dial indicator to measure the cam lift.  No messing around with rulers,
a dial indicator is a must!!

The following is how I'm set up now, and the car runs great except for
rich idle: Set ignition timing at 10 degrees BTDC static, and don't use
any vacuum advance or retard.  Block off all vacuum orifices on the
carbs, and block of the breather hose connections on the carbs.  Run
the breather hose from the rocker cover directly to the carbon
canister, nowhere else.

Did your water temp gauge indicate very hot, or just the glowing header
pipe?  Which happened first-hot temp gauge or glowing header pipe?

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com