Re: Brake Warning Light

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Warning Light
From: Chris Young <pzs83j@ndc.gmeds.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 12:55:08 -0400
> Lister's,

Well I have a problem which by the time this is received I will have
resolved....Ijust put together my TR with a Goodparts head, cam, triple
Stromberg setup, header etc.  Finally yesterday, I fired it up and it did
start and proceeded to get hot within about 15 to 20 minutes or so!  So hot
that no 5 cylinder exhaust tube was starting to glow red!  Naturally I shut
it down.   It was running very lean so I checked the carbs, redid the float
level...checked fuel pressure (an electric pump,)  The radiator is new
recore and I have an electric fan.  It dawned on me though I may not have
indexed the cam properly!  So I'm pulling the timing cover off and checking
it.  I'll bet I did something wrong since I had to keep leaving the job in
various stages. The explanation I came to was that since the cam is out of
sync with the crank and the valves are not doing there job at the right
time during the firing phase, in this case way too advanced.  I'm going
back and checking the timing marks as per original (the marks on the cam
and crank gears)and go from there.  It's entirely possible I screwed it
up.  Of course not enouph that it wouldn't start!  In case the questions
arise the carbs are set at .720in height(17.64mm) originally they were at
16mm. The mixture was almost all the way set rich during process of
figuring out what was wrong.  As stated electric fuel pump, the valves were
set to Goods specs. The plugs read slightly black not white.. The exhaust
was pretty "dry" meaning little carbon deposits...All leaning towards
lean.....The only thing I could see is it's too far advanced...So back to
the basics.  Any other idea's?  As I noted before I'm tearing into it again
later today, so wish me luck that I find the marks way off. at least if I
do then it's a pretty good bet that was the the problem...

Regards.
Chris Young

74'TR6
76'TVR