Re: ride height

To: 6pack-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ride height
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:13:58 -0700 (PDT)
I have met many people with TRF's "Rally" mild comp springs in their
TR6s and 250s, and all of them have complained of high ride height and
camber that is more positive than spec.  The springs that cause this
are sometimes referred to as "Rally" springs by TRF.  I mention this
because TRF now sells TWO types of uprated springs.  They are 1) the
rally springs that are causing everyone's problems and 2)Goodparts
springs.

A few years ago, TRF started selling Goodparts components (swaybars,
steering rack mounts, nylatron bushings, etc) including his springs.
The Goodparts springs are about 20% stiffer and will LOWER the car
about an inch.  The Rally springs sold by TRF are also stiffer than
stock, but they raise the ride height.  This is because whoever makes
these springs has increased the spring rate but kept the uncompressed
spring height the same as a stock spring.  If you increase the rate but
keep the uncompressed height the same, the result is higher ride
height.  If you increase spring rate, you should DECREASE the
uncompressed spring height so that ride height will stay stock or ride
lower.

Don't buy TRFs "rally" springs!!  They result in excess positive camber
in the rear suspension, which is very dangerous if you drive
enthusiastically.  Also, the increased ride height moves your center of
gravity higher, and handling is therefore not optimum.  If you want
better handling, and have chosen uprated springs as your method of
doing so (other options include sway bars and uprated shocks), buy the
Goodparts springs (either directly from Good or through TRF)which are
higher than stock rate, but move ride height down.  Or, if you've
already got TRFs "rally" springs, cut them down as another lister has
suggested.

TRF really should pull their springs off the market, because they don't
work right.  A fellow 6Packer was kept from autocrossing his 250 last
summer at TRFs summer party because TRFs tech inspectors felt that the
excessive positive camber in his rear suspension (caused by TRFs own
springs!!) made it dangerous.  Not good.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

--- TomRJade@aol.com wrote:
> Needing more input,
> I am also dealing with the ride height problem.
> I have installed the mild competition springs from the TRF.
> TheTRFmanual
> says that the ride height won't be affected, but it has the rear end
> is
> sitting up about 1"-1.5" to high. I have even flipped the trailing
> arm
> brackets to all the different possibilities.  Still to high.   I am
> running
> 205/70/15 what is the correct measurement from the ground to the
> fender well?
> Front and rear. Also, my rear shock conversion  tube shocks, when
> sitting
> flat, start at topped out position.  How much differnent does the
> ride feel
> from the stock to the mild competion springs? Is it worth the switch?
> Anyone
> use the race springs are they to stiff for road use?
> Thanks
> TXR 74
> Also, I will parting out with my 75 parts car. I call it a parts car
> even
> though it's about 95% complete it has heavy rust on the frame,  any
> one have
> any interest in either parts or better yet the entire car? Let me
know.

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com