Common components between 2500PI and Tr6

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Common components between 2500PI and Tr6
From: Bernard Robbins <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 14:17:05 +1200
Hi John,

I've both a 2500PI and a TR6 PI. There are a lot of common parts but mostly
restricted to the mechanical bits.

Most of the PI bits are common with the exception of the metering unit. If
the saloon is an earlier car, it will have a metering unit with a black
plastic top. If it is a later car (about mid '73 on I think) it will have
the later greencap metering unit.  The earlier 150 Bhp TR6 had the blacktop
metering unit. The later 125 HP had the greentop metering unit.

Depending on the year of the saloon, some of the instrumentation is also
common.

The gearbox and overdrive are the same, but the ratios are different.

The engines are the same. The only major difference being the camshaft.

The diff is the same except for the rear cover.

Most of rear axle components are the same (wheel bearings and halfshafts)
The major difference being in the length.

Depending on the condition of the saloon, I would be tempted to do it up.
The 2500 PI is an absolute loverly car with performance matching most
modern 3 ltr V6's. When running properly, they will cruise at 100 MPH all
day and are very solid in an accident.

I'm not sure which part of the world you are in, but here in NZ spares for
the saloon triumphs are very plentiful, although I don't think there is
much in the way of remanufactured stuff for them yet.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers
Bernard Robbins

At 14:46 26/05/00 +0200, you wrote:

>I have just managed to get hold of a 2500PI Sedan. What interests me is the
>level of commonality of components between the sedan and my '74 TR6.
>The 2500PI needs a lot of work to get it good. It occurred to me that I
>might be better off just using it to keep the TR in the style to which it is
>accustomed.
>
>Any ideas anyone.
>
>JG

Regards