2000-register

Rear A frame - 2.5PI

To: <triumph_2000@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Rear A frame - 2.5PI
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 23:24:47 -0000
Input requested from the BTDT fraternity please. The N/S semi-trailing
arm mounting has just started to show a disconcerting pinhole on its
lower face and has to be changed. I've got a left and a right both in
good condition, now cleaned and repainted. This is a good time to swap
out both sides and re-bush the rear end as well.
One person who has had access to the car recently, is of the view the
sills are shot. As I acquired it from a guy who had run a very
successful repair shop before his death and had done some excellent
work on other body parts of the car, I'm cautious about taking this
sills issue entirely at face value. I'm anxious to spread the load of
the car as much as possible in the lifting process. It occurs to me
that axle stands supporting a baulk of timber across the rear floor
with a bottle jack directly under the diff to 'catch' a rapidly
descending body would be a sensible precaution. Does anyone have any
suggestions from their own experiences?
Comprehensive off-list advice would be appreciated to avoid taking up
bandwidth. Thanks

Jonmac
MG 4305 DLO 1970 Triumph 2.5PI