2000-register

Re: MK1 Front wing attachment

To: "Mike Sharp" <msharp@cynapps.com>,
Subject: Re: MK1 Front wing attachment
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 23:22:44 +0100
>Perhaps this is an area for some of that fancy body pannel
>adhesive that I vaguely remember.  Anyone have experience
>with this stuff?

Mike
The nearest substance I can think of is called Fixabond. It's an epoxy resin
putty that
once cured and dry (after 2 hours) is hard enough to tap, file, drill and
paint. Really
does set steel hard. I've seen it used with considerable success as a seal on
leaking
diesel fuel tanks and I used to sell it in large quantities to repairers once
upon a time.
Quite whether its suitable for what you have in mind, I wouldn't like to say.
Brief
technical spec are Tensile strength = 6000psi, Shear strength = 700psi,
Hardness 85 (Shore
D). As I don't have a drawing of the panel in question to hand to see how your
problem
appears in reality, perhaps you might be able to tack weld the panel and then
fill in the
gaps on either side with the putty? For further info and pricing, ring 01543
416641
(Selectequip Ltd in Lichfield) and ask for Ken Rudman. Tell him I gave you his
name and I
stress no financial interewst on my part.

John Macartney