2000-register

Beware the KAK virus - not a hoax - I've just had to fix it myself on a

To: <2000-Register@autox.team.net>
Subject: Beware the KAK virus - not a hoax - I've just had to fix it myself on a friends computer.
From: "Andy Ellis" <andy.ellis@triumph.zx3.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 20:50:46 +0100
Nothing to do with Triumphs, but....

Not a virus hoax. I've been personally involved in removing this virus from
a customer's system. It is a nasty piece of work. KAK spreads via an e-mail
attachment - and can still infect even if the attachment is not opened.

As an experiment, I sent an infected message it to an isolated machine. The
virus 'took' merely by the message being examined the preview pane.
Apparently it attacks a particular weakness in Windows 95/98 defences.

It is a known problem in e-mail groups like ours.

If you have a virus shield such as McAfee checking on your e-mail then KAK
can be kept at bay. If the virus is established then matters are a bit
trickier.

For a quick check of your system, proceed as follows:

Look for the following files:
AE.KAK (usually c:\ae.kak)
KAK.HTA (usually c:\windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\kak.hta )
KAK.HTM (usually c:\windows\kak.htm )

The existence of any of these files indicates infection.

Check files c:\autoexec.bat & c:\autoexec.dos for any reference to kak.hta.
Any such reference also indicates infection. These files can be examined
using Notepad or Word.

Check your Outlook Express signature thus: Within Outlook Express, do
Tools-Options then select the signature tag. If signature is set to kak.htm
then this indicates infection.

If infected, do NOT send any e-mail.

Details of fixes can be had at www.nai.com - look in the Virus library under
K.