2000-register

2.5 Saloon instruments

To: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Subject: 2.5 Saloon instruments
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:12:28 +0100
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:19:50 -0500
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Subject: 2.5 Saloon..voltmeter or ammeter?

Bob Kramer wrote:

In working through the previous owner stuff on my 1972 2.5 Saloon, I find
that it has an oil pressure gauge, but no voltmeter or ammeter. I also have
found a few spare "white" wires, taped and un-taped, loose under the dash,
and a rather plumbing store look to the oil pressure line. Am I right in my
assumption that this car came with a voltmeter, not a pressure gauge?

Bob, you're absolutely right in your assumption - the PI was fitted with a
voltmeter but
no oil pressure gauge. You don't say whether your car is left or right hand
steer but
you'll probably be relieved to know you can have the best of both worlds. Morte
in a mo on
that one. If you want a replacement voltmeter, Rimmers sell it under part
number 150645 or
150645R. The latter is reconditioned but new or recon they sell for GBP45.11 -
which is a
bit steep.
Depending on the steer pattern for your car, you can fit an oil pressure gauge
by
relocating the instrument panel rheostat knob to the other side of the panel
and the
displaced space will just allow an oil pressure gauge to go in. I know this from
experience as the PO for my car did just that and used what looks like an early
TR6 unit -
the match is really good. It also makes the instrument panel look that bit more
authentic
and why san POG was never fitted as OE I'll never know.

This
car gets more interesting every time I work on it. I love the heater/fresh
air system. If Triumph could build this quality unit, why is the TR6 box so
lousy. I'm presently considering my options. I might re-sell it (as my kids
want), but the prospects for turning it into a daily driver look promising.

Well, you can't say the big saloon was never available for the US market. It
was withdrawn
in 1967 because of low sales but there wasn't nowt wrong wi' it. What you've
now got is a
car that will outperform any stock US spec TR6 - and in comfort. Don't listen
to your
kids - what you've managed to somehow get into the US is rare indeed. If you
don't want
it - let me know!

Here in Texas adding A/C to it is a must, and there is plenty of room under
the dash. Surely an aftermarket A/C unit was produced for this car somewhere
in the world. Has anyone heard of such a unit?

I'm posting this to the 2000 Register list and there's a good chance our Big
Six friends
in Oz, NZ or South Africa can come up with a suggestion. Guys?

Cheers
Jonmac

The SLOW progress with 'Canley Girl': http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/