vtr

Re: Concours and safety-related modifications

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Subject: Re: Concours and safety-related modifications
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 12:19:56 -0500 ()
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, vtr@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-vtr@autox.team.net
[The following contains my own comments interspersed with Michael's
original message. Please note that members of the VTR National Board have
been blind-copied on this, and additional comments *might* be forthcoming
from other members of the Board. My comments are based on my
interpretation of VTR's Constitution and Bylaws, Competition Rules and
general experience.  They do not necessarily represent any official stand
by VTR, even though I am, in fact, President.]

That said....

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Michael D. Porter wrote:

> This brings up somewhat of a sore point with me, but which I don't have
> enough personal experience to verify fully. In writing back and forth to
> others, I get the sense that some people with concours-level cars feel
> that they cannot add clearly safety-related items to their cars without
> losing points in concours competitions.

That is not necessarily the case. Quoting from VTR's Concours Rules (see
them in their entirety at <http://www.vtr.org/rules/concours.html>:

3.6 ASPECTS OF JUDGING: (See also the Concours Judging Form.)

* 3.6.1 PERIOD ACCESSORIES: Accessories which were available to the owner
during the period when the car was current shall not be a cause for a
deduction and shall not be considered modifications. This includes modern
radios if installed in a period mount.

* 3.6.2 REPLACEMENT PARTS: Replacement and/or reproduction parts abound
for Triumphs. No deduction shall be taken for replacement parts unless
they differ significantly in appearance or material from the original. In
such case the deduction shall be one-half of the deduction that would be
taken if the part were missing.

* 3.6.3 SAFETY ITEMS: No deduction shall be made for safety items such as
a fire extinguisher, fuel line hose clamps, seat belts, fuel filters, etc.
The installation must be neat and unobtrusive.

* 3.6.4 MODIFICATIONS: See section 2.2 on MODIFIED CLASS

2.2 MODIFIED CLASS: A car shall be deemed to be "MODIFIED", and placed in
the modified class, if there is a major component change, i.e. engine, or
multiple (2 or more) minor component changes, multiple body and/or trim
modifications. Minor modifications, which would not otherwise place the
car in the Modified Class, shall receive one half the deduction of a
missing part for each modified part. The contestant may enter Modified
Class on their own, but must do so PRIOR to the start of the judging. The
decision of the VTR Chief Judge in this matter shall be FINAL. Judging in
this class shall be for appearance and workmanship only, not authenticity.

> I would like VTR regional and national competition rules to clearly
> state that no points will be deducted for roll bars, brake master
> conversions to dual/split braking systems, or for 3-, 4- or 5-point
> restraint systems, or for non-stock battery disconnects and fuel
> delivery protection, such as better protected fuel lines or fuel cells.
> In fact, consider this as a petition for a formal rule
> change/clarification, if required. This may, in some ways, reduce the
> tendency for some people to think that a trailer queen has a better
> chance of winning concours, and may encourage people to outfit their
> cars to meet their own safety needs sufficiently to actually _drive_
> their cars. That's what it's all about--enjoying the drive.

You knowing or unknowingly have addressed a number of divergent issues
here. First of all, ONE OF the goals of VTR, which is reflected in ONE
section of Concours (which, in turn, is ONE of the two featured show
displays for trophies at VTR-sanctioned events) is the Preservation of the
cars. For some members, that means preserving or restoring cars to the
exact specification (or as closely as possible) to which they were built.
And for some who choose this particular route, that means NOS (but
hopefully still safe) Dunlop Gold Seal tires, Lodge sparking plugs and
possibly even Girling Crimson Brake Fluid. :-) For most who choose this
particular route, it means keeping as close as practicable to the original
standard, but using the "loopholes" noted above to augment their vehicles
with seat belts, modern radial tires and such easily and unobtrusively
added safety items.

Note most especially 3.6.3 above, which addresses basic safety add-ons. I
am not at all sure that items you mention (roll bars, fuel cells,
multi-point restraint systems, etc.) add so significantly to safety
levels. More importantly, I personally do not feel the cars are inherently
unsafe as built, even in today's world. Granted, I am less inclined
nowadays to brave a Herald or Mayflower on an Interstate shared by
Peterbilts, Ford Excursions or even some of those kids in their Hondas!
But I rode over 2000 miles each way -- New York State to Texas and back --
as a passenger in a TR6 in both comfort and peace of mind.

Another fact to consider is that retrofitting safety items of any kind is
not necessarily a bolt-in procedure. So-called "street" roll bars may
afford little more than decoration in some circumstances. Improperly
mounted shoulder belt(s) may do more harm than good in a crash situation.
The wrong dual-circuit master cylinder might well cause a brake imbalance
that could result in unpredictable, even dangerous, braking performance
(i.e., premature rear-wheel lockup, etc.).

Sadly, even some so-called "original-style" but newly manufactured parts
for our cars don't begin to measure up to even the standards set by
Standard-Triumph 30-40 years ago.  Even reproduction bumpers, for example:
some not only have mediocre plating but are a thinner gauge steel (but not
necessarily a higher strength or grade of steel); how does such a part
compromise our cars? What about an indifferently cast bronze trunnion or
too-brittle rubber brake seals? (Examples only; I'm NOT pointing any
fingers at specific parts or manufacturers of same. So don't go starting
up any litigation against me, please!)

> The cars were built, within some economic parameters, to meet minimum
> standards of the time of production. One should not have to take one's
> life in one's hands driving a car which one also wants to meet concours
> requirements, simply because those old standards are now found to be
> outmoded or, frankly, dangerous. Anyone who drives a GT6 lives with the
> knowledge that there's nothing but a scant bit of sheet metal between an
> impinging rear impact and the gas tank. Freedom to fit a fuel cell
> instead of the original tank, without penalty in shows, would be of
> great benefit, for example.
>
> Michael D. Porter
> Roswell, NM
> mailto: mporter@zianet.com

Specifically, I'm not familiar with any high incidence of fuel tank
explosion/fire in the GT6 models -- certainly not like, say, the dreaded
Ford Pinto. (Any long-time fans of SNL remember the Pinto "lighter" skit?)
But the GT6 is one of hundreds of millions of cars built through the years
with a POTENTIALLY (key word) vulnerable fuel tank and/or filler location.
(Check out the majority of American cars built through at least the early
1970s, as just one example.)

But your concept of "[f]reedom to fit [whatever safety item or
items]...WITHOUT PENALTY IN SHOWS" (my emphasis) is what concerns me most.
Again, I have virtually no problem with anyone doing whatever he or she
wants to his or her own car. Add roll bars, halogen headlamps, 6000 watt
stereos, JATO boosters, 245/35ZR19 tires. Doesn't matter. Fact is, VTR has
a place or two in its shows for such cars; see MODIFIED above. Note that,
although we've not completely formalized rules yet for same, we've
recently added a Concours class for what might be described as "all-out
competition"  vehicles -- cars that roughly parallel the "Prepared" class
standards for VTR autocross (see those rules as well:
<http://www.vtr.org/rules/autocross.html>).

And that still leaves Participants Choice as an alternative for show
display and trophying.

Meanwhile, I look at such modern cars as the Mazda Miata (today's wildly
successful torch-bearer of the sports car movement, IMHO) and I do not see
full racing harnesses or roll bars in those cars as delivered to willing
buyers. But I don't view Miatas as inherently unsafe because of that
lack. It (along with any Spitfire or TR) will lose out in an encounter
with a Chevy Suburban. The Suburban doesn't stand a chance against that
big Kenworth semi, which will lose every time to a speeding Amtrak
passenger train, which will suffer during impact with an asteroid.... :-)
(Yes, I'm a bit of a fatalist in that I feel there's always something
bigger out there that MIGHT get me someday. But I don't worry too much
about it.)

The point is that we do "cut some slack" in Concours Stock classes, quite
likely much more so than other marque clubs. (Anyone familiar with NCRS
and "Bloomington Gold" and the like knows what I mean about the correct
shade of cadmium plating, or manifold casting dates, etc., right?) But the
Preservation and Originality aspects, in my opinion, MUST be a (not the
only) focal point of any marque club.

Meanwhile, we pretty much drop the bar entirely in Modified and Prepared
Concours classes. So there is ample opportuntiy for those whose primary
goal is to collect faux-walnut-and-pot-metal items for their mantels.
(Sorry to be sarcastic; please don't take this as a put-down in ANY way!)

MY personal bottom line is that the enjoyment 364.88 days/year (or
whatever portion of the year in which I can actually drive a Triumph in
the sometimes snowy Northeast as opposed to the 2-3 hours the car is on a
show field) is what counts to me -- NOT whether I'll "trophy" at any
given meet. Again, that is not a put-down of those who strive for show
trophies, nor of those who compete in moving events and will hide their
cars on show day, or those who do both.

Sorry this is so long, but it's an area I feel deserves careful
consideration, particularly within a marque club structure. And certainly
I entertain further discussion! But maybe we need NOT involve the
"Triumphs" list further, as this is more a VTR-specific topic? I'll leave
that up to you all and your REPLY function in your mailers!

--Andy