vtr

Re: Spitfire Wiper Problems

To: Ben Bradshaw <BAB@tyler.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Wiper Problems
From: "Keith A. Edwards" <kedwards@norfolk.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 17:59:03 -0800
Sender: owner-vtr
Ben Bradshaw wrote:

> Hi all, I'm new on the list.
>
> I have a 1980 Spitfire 1500.  Since I bought it, the windshield wipers
> would sometimes work ok, then sometimes work VERY slowly.  Recently they
> had been working great (except they made a loud noise at each return), but
> then suddenly stopped in the middle of the windshield.  They show
> absolutely no sign of life.
>
> I unplugged the plastic power connector on top on the wiper motor and
> tested each tab to make sure the switch was supplying power. It was.  But
> here's the strange part: when I plug the connector back in and test the
> wires coming out the opposite side of the connector, there is juice to the
> wires that have no juice on the power side!  In other words, I unplug it
> and locate the tab (on the incoming side) that represents the "off"
> position.  Of course with the sitch off, it has no juice.  But when I plug
> the connector in and test the corresponding wire on the motor side of the
> connector, it lights my tester.  Surely this is not normal!  Does this mean
> I have a problem in the connector?  Or will I need to replace the whole
> motor ($110)?  Also, I can't seem to figure out how to remove the connector
> from the motor housing.
>
> I would appreciate any help someone could give, as it is starting to snow
> here in Texas, and I need my wipers!
>
> Ben Bradshaw
> Henderson TX

I can't speak from experience on Spitfire wiper motors, but typically these
wiper motors are
wired "hot", and the switch provides a ground.  This conveniently also easily
allows for the
wipers to return to home when turned off.

I suspect an intermitent ground at the motor.  They are not too bad to work on,
internally,
either.

My other recommendation is try Rain-X.  I sure wish I used it 15 years ago on
my TR4A, when it
rained all the way from Norfolk to Maine, while pulling a utility trailer.
Have you ever had to
choose between using your wipers, your defroster, _or_ your full headlights???

Keith Edwards
Suffolk, VA
kedwards@norfolk.infi.net
2 '62 TR3Bs
2 '67 TR4As
1 '54 Austin-Healey
1 '54 Austin Princess Vanden Plas limo (still for sale, cheap)
too little time...