vtr

Spitfire Wiper Problems

Subject: Spitfire Wiper Problems
From: "Ben Bradshaw" <BAB@tyler.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 20:46:25 -0600
Sender: owner-vtr
Hi all, I'm new on the list.

I have a 1980 Spitfire 1500.  Since I bought it, the windshield wipers
would sometimes work ok, then sometimes work VERY slowly.  Recently they
had been working great (except they made a loud noise at each return), but
then suddenly stopped in the middle of the windshield.  They show
absolutely no sign of life.

I unplugged the plastic power connector on top on the wiper motor and
tested each tab to make sure the switch was supplying power. It was.  But
here's the strange part: when I plug the connector back in and test the
wires coming out the opposite side of the connector, there is juice to the
wires that have no juice on the power side!  In other words, I unplug it
and locate the tab (on the incoming side) that represents the "off"
position.  Of course with the sitch off, it has no juice.  But when I plug
the connector in and test the corresponding wire on the motor side of the
connector, it lights my tester.  Surely this is not normal!  Does this mean
I have a problem in the connector?  Or will I need to replace the whole
motor ($110)?  Also, I can't seem to figure out how to remove the connector
from the motor housing.

I would appreciate any help someone could give, as it is starting to snow
here in Texas, and I need my wipers!

Ben Bradshaw
Henderson TX