Re: Setup for Hoosier Street TD's

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Setup for Hoosier Street TD's
From: Dave Mapes <dmapes@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 23:02:14 -0400 (EDT)
Hi John,

I'm just learning about Street TDs on my Dart
(http://users.erols.com/dmapes/RKCP009.JPG),
but here's my $0.02.

As Myles said bias plys need less camber than than
radials, although -1/2 to -1 seams a little upright
to me.  What toe and caster settings are you running,
and does the car have lowered upper control arms?
Obviously the better your negitive camber "gain" with
body roll the less negitive camber you'll need to
run.

What's less obvious is that the more positive
caster you can adjust into the front suspension, the
more work you can get out of the outside edge of the
inside tire in any given corner (which helps even out
the ware a bit).

While some toe-out can halp turn-in, its hell on tire
ware, so go with 0" to an 0.125" toe-in.  This will
take some of the pressure off of the inside edges
when your running in a straight line and help stabilize
the car under braking.

Overall I'd be inclined to go with -1.25 Camber, as
much positive caster as you can get, and 0" toe.

At 01:48 PM 8/2/06 -0400, you wrote:
>        I am running Hoosier Bias ply's (Street TD's) on my Mustang and
>trying to perfect the camber adjustment.
>
>Ideally - should I expect to be able to set the camber to get even wear
>across the face of the tire?  I chew up the inside
>edge with the camber set at 1/2 to 1 deg neg. camber.
>

>John DeSantis
>Inficon
>Phone 315-434-1196
>Fax 315-434-9908

All the Best!  Dave  ;^)
'66 Formula S Barracuda, CP "Light"(GoldFish), Gold - Go figgure
'66 Dodge Dart, CP "Light"/Vintage (Zebra), Heh! Guess!
'66 Formula S Barracuda, Vintage Resurection Project, Gold
'66 C code Mustang Coup, CP (Ol'Beastly), Red - NEDiv/WDCR Championship car
'97 Cherokee, Green, Nothing Special Until it Snows
'05 Subaru Impreza RS Wagon, HS, Silver - 2005 Subi Challenge DSP Winner
Lame Horse Racing, College Park, MD. http://users.erols.com/dmapes/