RE: Green Flag

To: "Richard Newton" <rfn026@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Green Flag
From: "Ryan, Richard" <RRyan@frk.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:33:08 -0700
That is a very good question.  The answer is---That depends on the rules of
that particular race meeting.

For the vast majority of professional and higher level club events (SCCA etc.)
the race starts, for the entire field, at the drop of the green.  One important
use of radios is to tell a fast car who qualified poorly (and is at the back of
the grid) when he can start to pass the slower cars.

I have been at vintage races where we have all agreed not to pass anyone until
we cross S/F.  This is one good way to handle split starts.

This is a question that should be asked or addressed at the driver's meeting at
the start of the weekend.

Dick Ryan     650-312-4022  (24022)
Director of Global Insurance Management
Franklin Templeton Investments