Re: CHARLIE GIBSON

To: "John A. Rollins" <no_bozos@bellsouth.net>, <JAshburne@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: CHARLIE GIBSON
From: Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 15:09:11 -0500
Printer-Friendly Version
Email This Story

All:
    I did not know Charlie very well but we shared a common interest outside
of vintage racing.  We both bought 2002 Honda Civic Si's as daily drivers.
Charlie and I compare notes on our cars.  I had recently made some
performance modifications to mine and I was looking forward to seeing
Charlie again to show off my car and have him try it out.
    I know a lot of Charlies racing history and his contributions to our
sport from his work as an event organizer to the countless racers he has
helped in so many ways over the years.  I know that there are a lot of
people who have the same emotion that I do right now - I don't want to
believe it.  Charlie was a great guy and we will miss him dearly.
 --
Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>

I found the following information on the Danville newspaper website:

"Police report fatal accident at Penske

Danville Police report
Danville Register and Bee
Wednesday, February 4, 2004

At approximately 7:24PM, Danville Police responded to Penske Trucking
located at 4771 Riverside Drive.

Upon arrival, they learned that a driver had just unhooked a trailer in the
back lot of the building and was outside of his tractor when it rolled over
him.

No one was operating the tractor at the time of the accident. The tractor
rolled into the building before coming to a stop causing minimal damage.

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. Investigators and Crime Scene
Search Unit Officers responded. The Virginia Department of Labor and
Industry9s Division of Occupational Safety was also notified.

The victim was identified as Charles Taylor Gibson, age 68 of Milton, NC.
All indications at this time are that this was an accident. There are no
criminal charges pending."