RE: glasses and a hot lap...

To: <vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: glasses and a hot lap...
From: "Peter L. Krause" <pkrause@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 19:21:36 -0500
Jim,

There is no such thing as a "hot" lap at the 1.1-mile Jefferson Circuit (or
for it, for that matter)

While a terrific training circuit better suited for Solo 1's (autocross or
time trials), it's VERY hard on brakes.

My guess is for Turkey Bowl that you'll go in a clockwise direction (from
above).

Past the start/finish (pit straight) you'll come down a gear and turn right
going downhill and slightly off camber (a little Turn One at Bridgehampton)
and come back opposite the direction of the main circuit, parallel with the
straight between the exit of Turn 2 and Wagon Bend. Then, a tricky
decreasing radius 90 degree right leading towards the back end of the
circuit. After completing the right, you'll head up in elevation, then
become unloaded over the crest leading into the long, slow tire-grinding 180
back towards the main circuit and the "esses" before the 120 degree left
onto the pit straight.

There's really nothing to it, just be careful and come up to speed gently.

All,

I LOVE contacts. While I wore glass photo-grey for all of my teens, the
thickness required made glass REALLY heavy. Then I got plastic lenses and
while lighter, they did NOT stand up to the rigors of working in a
professional shop. Lately, the science of modern lensmaking (particularly
the lighter, thinner plastic for the same magnification and the protective
coatings that have afforded more scratch resistance) makes it look like
those proponents of polycarbonate lenses are the way to go. When faced with
the beginnings of presbyopia, my ophthalmologist suggested that I compromise
my 20/15 corrected distance vision a little to get some better tight focus.
I think this is a VERY temporary fix. I'll probably end up with contacts and
reading glasses, but I just wanted to pipe up that contacts have helped my
driving, improve visibility in the cold and wet by eliminating the fogging
and improve my field of vision.

-Peter