Re: Couple of questions

To: "Malcolm Cox" <malcox@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: Couple of questions
From: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 07:09:16 -0500
it was common practice to wrap the leaf springs to keep the grease in and
dirt out so the springs stayed clean and were very silent in their
operation.  i bet the string / rope wrap did to some degree hold the leaves
together to limit axle drop or stiffen up the springs.  a lot of cars had
axle limit straps wich kept axles from going too far from their intended
location on bumps and jumps.  the early ford steel spring covers had grease
fittings on the steel spring covers for lubrication.
ahhh....the days prior to Planned obsolescence".....*sigh*

chuck.