New road race tracks.

To: <JAshburne@aol.com>, <Hsrrace@aol.com>, <proettjer@charter.net>,
Subject: New road race tracks.
From: Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:16:32 -0400
on 10/16/02 11:37 AM, JAshburne@aol.com at JAshburne@aol.com wrote:

> (e.g. VIR, the Shenandoah circuit at Summit Point, Englishtown, NJ; the
> track outside of Pittsburgh to name a few)

    Joe's comments on the track owners/vintage club relationship are well
taken from somone who has been there, done that and knows what he is talking
about.  Fortunately he is inaccurate about the lack of new road race
facilities.  Along with the above listed courses, you can count Carolina
Motorsports Park (Kershaw, SC), and the new course being prepared at the
Barber Museum in Birmingham.
    It appears that the demand for track dates and track time has fueled the
construction of excellent new facilities.  New Road courses are being built
to very high standards and old facilities are being renovated.  While we
complain about being squeezed out of a date here and there, we should
remember that when track dates were plentiful, the tracks suffered from
neglect lack of funds (remember the 1980's?).  On the whole we are
benefitting from this growth & prosperity with new & better facilities.
--
Doug Meis
Team Escargot