Re: Even Further off-topic

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Even Further off-topic
From: "John P" <jpetrush@sc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 22:32:04 -0400
My own semi-scientific tests confirm this conclusion.  My 5.9L V-8 Dodge
conversion van punches a mighty hole in the air on its own and normally gets
14-15 mpg no matter how vigorously or gently I drive it.  I recently
travelled from South Carolina to Pennsylvania, empty trailer on the way up
and loaded coming back.  With a 24 foot Pace in tow, empty or full, that
figure cuts in half.  Crusing speeds of 55-60 in the mountains gave mileage
in the high 6 mpg range, 75-80 speeds in the flatter areas yielded mpg in
the low 8's.  Frontal area and elevation change had more effect on milage
than speed.  The total weight of the load is not as major a factor.