Re: Even Further off-topic

To: "Derek" <dereklola@yahoo.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Even Further off-topic
From: "Grant Reynolds" <grant62@starpower.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:23:44 -0400
>   Me   - "Suppose so - never considereed that option[slowing down to save
gas while towing]."

I actually tried a scientific experiment on slowing down. Coming back to
Maryland from Gingerman in Michigan, speed was cut from my usual 70 to 60.
Result: normal gas mileage 10.5-11; 60 mph 11.9. Test was conducted going
East, starting at about 7:30 AM on a typically hot, humid summer morning
with little or no wind. Vehicle was a 1999 Chrysler Town and Country minivan
with 3.8 engine and towing package. Trailer is a light 13 x 6 box trailer
with 5 feet of headroom, loaded weight 2600 pounds. This is somewhat smaller
than the gargantuan trailers referred to in the previous post.

Conclusion: worth the cost to get home an hour and a half earlier!

However, on other occasions by towing the same car (vintage Zink Formula
Vee) on a open trailer I increased gas mileage to 18-19 vice a non-towing
21, both at 70. This indicates that frontal area and wind resistance, not
weight, caused the bulk of my tow car load.

    Your results may vary.

Grant Reynolds