Re: Wet Suspension Mini

To: Pgtgt@aol.com, vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wet Suspension Mini
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:12:18 -0500
I, and several others up here in Canada, ran wet Mini's at the beginning of
our vintage racing experience with them.  All converted bar one, who
dropped out of the fray.  I converted quickly and violently - rolled the
car at the first event.  It had insufficient damping as it was set up,
mostly stock, and boom I was upside down after short-cutting a corner over
a relatively inoffensive curb.  Steep learning curve...

Others worked to modify the basic wet setup, adding shock absorbers at the
front (technically illegal in our club), splitting the system front and
rear, lowering it and running higher pressure. but eventually everybody
just took out the wet springs and put in dry, retaining the set suspension
arms, which had the advantage of higher leverage resulting in stiffer
suspension using the stock dry springs.

This doesn't say that you can't run wet suspension, just that you have to
understand what's happening and probably underdrive the car compared to
what would be possible with dry suspension.

Brian

At 08:34 PM 3/20/02, Pgtgt@aol.com wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm new to this forum, so please be kind (at least initially).  I just
>aquired a '67 Mini Cooper S with wet suspension.  I'd like to run some
>hillclimbs and eventually, perhaps vintage racing.  Are there any out there
>who are running minis with wet suspensions?  Care to offer any advise, tips
>bits of info ?  So far I've fended off the "convert to dry" crowd, but you
>can make a run at it, if you like.
>Thanks in advance.
>Paul G. Trout
>'67 Cooper S