Re: Wet Suspension Mini

To: Pgtgt@aol.com, vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wet Suspension Mini
From: marcel chichak <chichm@telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:43:31 -0700
>I'm new to this forum, so please be kind (at least initially).  I just
>aquired a '67 Mini Cooper S with wet suspension.  I'd like to run some
>hillclimbs and eventually, perhaps vintage racing.  Are there any out there
>who are running minis with wet suspensions?  Care to offer any advise, tips
>bits of info ?  So far I've fended off the "convert to dry" crowd, but you
>can make a run at it, if you like.

If it's a real '67 you should have the uprated hydro silver bags in it. You
can improve things a bit by adding adjustable dampers up front, just bolt
the mounts on from a dry car. None of the adjustable dampers on the market
are intended for the application and if you had a choice you'd damp the
rebound heavily and bump soft. That would take car of the rearward pitch on
acceleration but keep the ride acceptable.

If you intend on lowering the car at all, you should take a few thou off
the struts rather than lowering the system pressure. On my Landcrab (wet
suspension as well) I've made adjustable rear struts. By lengthening or
shortening the rear I can raise or lower the car with the same system
pressure: it levels itself.

You can also add rally bumpstops front and back which is what I've done on
my rally Mini, but I keep that with plenty of ground clearance so it's not
riding on the stops all the time.

Lessee, what else? Sway bar. Never tried one but it's supposed to make a
difference on a wet car by tieing the two sides together. I would think
it's a mod that's low on the priority list.

--Marcel Chichak    chichm@telusplanet.net
        Edmonton Alberta Canada, eh?
  Peek into my world: www.telusplanet.net/~chichm