Recommendation of Brake Shoe Linings

To: Vintage-Race <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Recommendation of Brake Shoe Linings
From: Phil Buttolph <pb1@humboldt.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:34:20 -0800
I am considering Porterfield linings for the brake shoes on my 1962
Corvette.  They have a competition lining (R4, I believe) and a street
lining (R4S).  My car is a dual purpose car that sees more street time than
track.  Any recommendations on these linings?  Any first hand performance
experiences (Do they need to be hot to work?  Good when wet?  High wear to
drums?) would be appreciated.  If anyone has a source for HD spring sets
that would also help, I am leary about multiple heat cycles and the "stock"
springs and would like to use a slightly stiffer and high quality spring set.

Thanks in advance....Phil:::