Re: Sebring - is there a "vintage" reunion for cars that ran

To: bob.schmitt@sainthood.com, alfasun@mohawk.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sebring - is there a "vintage" reunion for cars that ran
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:10:53 EST
In a message dated 1/7/02 10:29:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
bob.schmitt@sainthood.com writes:

> Susan -
>
> Yeah, I had contacted all the US Frazer Nash owners and was trying to stir
> up some interest in a "gathering" and would have traveled to Sebring just
> hang out.  Not likely now.  It's unfortunate they are uninterested in
> promoting their history a bit better.  Or is there a shortage of space?
>
> I will be very surprised if they have the '52 winner, but will be writing a
> few mags to see if there's an interest in a story to help find this missing
> car.
>
> Bob

OK, after a few days of getting to the bottom of this situation, here is what
is going on.

FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF SEBRING AND TWENTY-FIFTH ANNIVERSARY OF VINTAGE
RACING

As many racers and enthusiasts know, Sebring is the home of international
racing in the USA. The first race was actually held on New Years Eve, 1950
and was a 6-hour race. 2002 is the 50th anniversaryof the first 12-hour race
held March 15, 1952. 2002 is also the 25th anniversary of the first Sebring
vintage race at which Bob Akin placed first overall in the Vintage category
in his Cooper Monaco. Gerry Sutterfieldbs Porsche 917K was the winner in the
Historic division. With the leadership of Sebringbs Ford Heacock, SVRA was
conceived from these early beginnings.

For the Fiftieth Celebration of the 12-hour race the organizers have made a
great effort to bring the overall winning cars for display. In order to make
this dual anniversary celebration a bigger success we are searching for ex-12
hour entries amongst our SVRA memberbs and other racer's collections. If you
have a car that actually raced at Sebring in the 12-hour race before 1973 we
hope you will participate in this yearbs historic occasion. There will be
special recognition for all past entries in the local media, at the downtown
tech festival and during pre-race activities.

SVRA will offer a $100 reduction of the entry fee to these cars and an extra
$100 reduction if they are in the same livery as when they actually raced at
Sebring.

Please join us for this special event and also witness some of the best
current road racing anywhere. Remember that your entry fee entitles you to
four crew passes and a vehicle paddock pass, which are good all week. The
equivalent spectator SuperPasses with paddock parking cost as much. Even if
you donbt race your car it is cheaper to see the race this way. You also get
a preferred spot in the paddock and the traditional Sebring parties. Donbt
miss this one!

Jack Woehrle