Alunium trailer resend

To: Vintage <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alunium trailer resend
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:21:04 -0500
I have a fully aluminium trailer, 20 foot enclosed 8 ft wide with a 6.5
foot ceiling inside. It's made by a now defunct manufacturer in Ontario, so
not identical to your ATC, but similar. I've never weighed it but I
estimate my all-up weight at about 5,000 Lbs or less, based on 2500 lbs of
trailer, 1,200 lb car, and 1,000 lbs of interior furniture and tools. I tow
with a full size GM Express van, 2500, with 5.7 L 260 HP engine and find
that the trailer is a good match to that. Just pulled through middle
America from Toronto to Savannah and back, and found that the hills on that
route got me down to second gear once or twice, and a lowest speed of about
40 MPH, but most of the hills where third gear and 55 mph no problem. I
will say that the biggest issue in towing when you're looking at matching a
box trailer to a smaller vehicle is not the weight - my trailer is perhaps
only 80% of the recommended weight or less for my truck (i think my truck
is good up to 8,000 lbs) - but the wind drag from the big bloody box! On
the flat, with no wind, I can cruise at any legal or semi-legal speed in
overdrive with no effort, with a 25 mph head wind I'm down to third gear
and 55 mph unless I push it hard.

Brian

Brian Evans
Director, Canada