Request for brake & tire data

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Request for brake & tire data
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:09:48 +0000
Listers,

I'm doing some initial calculations for brake bias (yes, yes, I know, nobody
ever calculates this stuff, test & set it at the track, which of course I
will do).  Can't help it that I'm an analytical type & would prefer to do an
initial calculation prior to testing.

Does anyone have data on 1)frictional characteristics of 5.00-L15 Dunlops,
484 compound or something similar (i.e. skinny bias-ply). In particular I
could use data on how c.o.f. varies with tire load (I know it decreases;
anyone have any real data?) and also maximum c.o.f. (currently assuming 0.8,
remember these are not wide/modern/slicks)  Have asked Dunlop supplier but I
really don't expect a response from them.

also 2)formula for calculating self-servo action of leading shoe drum brake
... would save me from refreshing my distant memories of integral calculus.

3) also ballpark figures for mid-weight, front-engined production cars ...
2000 lbs, 53/47 weight distribution ... I think I want to end up between
60/40 and 65/35 front to rear; anyone have data on similar car with proper
race set-up?

Any help appreciated.

Mark Palmer