Re: Brake line fittings

To: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Subject: Re: Brake line fittings
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:13:08 -0400
As long as you understand what you've done, this will work a treat, as
Chris says.  All the pundits (myself included although NOT a pundit!) point
out that this is taking the double flare and working it over a 37 deg. male
flare rather than 45 deg.  Now, while this is technically true, I expect
that this in practice works about as well as a girling flare works anywhere
else, which is to say just fine as long as you don't try to take it apart
and refasten many times.  The double flare gets crushed and galled, and
repeat attachments are prone to failure (this has in fact happened to me,
twice, and the second time is resulting in yet another restoration of my
wife's Mini woody wagon, so this is NOT an old wives tale).

What I do now is simply cut off the old girling or SAE flare from the bundy
tube, and re-flare the existing tube in place (or replace the tubing
altogether if appropriate) and use an AN flare with the AN flare nut and
sleeve.  This takes almost no time, and the fittings are available
anywhere.  One big bennie is that the AN flare is a single flare and almost
foolproof to make.  Both Aeroquip and Earls make NPT to AN fittings.

Brian

At 06:00 PM 7/26/01 -0400, you wrote:
> > Anyone on the list know of a source for adapter fittings to go from
> British
> > (Girling) style bubble-flare tubing, to AN?
>
>The couple of times I've done this, I've just taken a normal AN male-male
>bulkhead fitting and attached the Girling flare nut and pipe to one
>end, and the all-AN flex line to the other. Works a treat, as they say.

Brian Evans
Director, Canada
MCI Wholesale Internet Services