RE: Auto lift solution

To: "Lon Walters" <lon@sedona.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Auto lift solution
From: "Doug Sallen" <doug_sallen@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:48:48 -0700
I just went through the same exercise and  I anguished (to the extent that I
anguish) about this for a few weeks and made a decision that was a
compromise.  Because it was a compromised I got frustrated and pouted while
waiting for spiritual guidance. Of all things the spiritual guidance showed
up in terms of a Snap On catalog.

The solution was a mid level lift that goes to 53 or so inches and it comes
with 110v pump assembly.  It weighs about a ton, it holds something like
6500 lbs, extremely stable and is easily moved with the dolly that holds the
pump.  It has a solid base of something like 4' x 2.5' (with arms that reach
out like normal lifts) that I thought would get in the way but I am easily
able to move the cars around to gain access to "it all".  It obviously
stores under a car and is totally not intrusive.  High enough to get to
everything external, flexible enough to raise to perfect height for
brakes/suspension etc. If I want to go "down under" and check lower end
bearings a chair with wheels is a perfect solution.

I have a Morgan SS (less than 2000lbs) and a Lotus 7 (less than 1000lbs)
that I race and the ease of maintenance/repair/inspection has increased 10
fold.  The Lotus requires a couple of 2x6's to "ride up on" as the clearance
has a couple inch conflict.  I back the Morgan up and leave the engine/trans
area forward of center on the platform for access with unquestionable
stability.

No posts, totally non-intrusive and no dents in the ceiling. It is great and
I am as critical as it comes about "things meeting expectations".  This from
a person with "three main crankshafts with rope seals", "Lucas electrics",
"Smiths gauges" and "Armstrong shocks"(oh yeah and Windows 98).  Oh well so
much for my credibility .

All the best, Doug