Re: Vintage race cars built today

To: <JWoesvra@aol.com>, <Tombread@aol.com>, <grant62@starpower.net>
Subject: Re: Vintage race cars built today
From: "Roger Sieling" <Rogsie@telesistech.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:07:52 -0400
Jack,

I'm ready to end conversation now, but must say my observation of racing here
in the east is that as an organizer, you are not necessarilly supporting
someone's value in their Lotus 23 by excluding replicas and such, but what you
are doing is continuing to have that class of car show up. Because of HSR's
open door policy, you won't find nearly the quantity of Lotus 23s or other
sports racers at their events, if any. I decided very early on that HSR was
not where I wanted to take my Eleven. With my new single seater, this probably
will be an option again.

Typically, SVRA has done a better job of policing the entries or at least
creating the aura of doing so and thus, the sports racer classes have
survived. That is the true effect, rather than enhancing someone's value,
although this value is probably a collateral effect.

We must all realise that racing at any level is expensive and there are
certain indicators, such as the number of restoration shops involved in the
sport and the accompaning auctions following along. Another indicator is the
number of large tow rigs and semis in the paddock. That don't come cheap.
Almost every race too has a sponsor kicking in some $. If the people who have
the most money involved in the sport lose interest, and that means their
expensive, investment grade cars, there won't be any race for all the rest of
us. Like so many things in life, money makes the world go round.

Roger

>>> <JWoesvra@aol.com> 07/11/01 03:08PM >>>
In a message dated 07/11/2001 11:34:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,