Re: Rules and 'Cheating'

To: John.Desantis@inficon.com
Subject: Re: Rules and 'Cheating'
From: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:19:49 -0500
Funny, I could not find my post of the last couple years on this
subject. Anyway, to quote Richard Petty: "Cheat Neat!"

And my comment: more rules make more cheaters!

IMHO: As for Donohue and Penske, and the whole Trans-AM series, cheating
was institutionalized! Factory $$ and pressure to win made cheating
necessary and acceptable. The SCCA (Tracy Bird?) kept everything sorta
under control, but looked the other way to make competition closer.

Vintage racing is about fun, not $$. If someone wants to go faster, so
be it - I'll bet if all the drivers voted on which of their competitors
were cheating, the percentage would be 90%+!
And, of course they would be in the "honest" 10%!

If the game plan is to have fun and put on a show for everybody, who the

Winter sucks - too much time for contemplation and too little
competition!

Back to hibernation!

Ciao,
Jim

--
Jim Hayes                  Fotec/Cable U
hayes@mediaone.net         http://www.CableU.net