MGB Brake pads

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB Brake pads
From: "Doug Schirripa" <drs@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 08:28:34 -0800
As a lurker, I usually don't contribute much, but this is one topic I can
speak from experience. We run a couple of MGBs in southern California with
some success (1999 MG class winner, Moss/Triumph Challenge - including a stop
in blag flag, and 2000 overall winner Moss/Triumph Challenge).

I usually out brake many others and it is either because I forget where my
braking point is (this is the vintage part of racing, correct?), or the stuff
we are using seems to work. But it isn't anything special. We use stock
calipers and rotors on the front with stock hydraulics. One car has
Porterfield (LD10 R4) pads, the other, Hawk (don't remember if they are blue
or black). They both work well, although I would stay with the Porterfield
next time the Hawks need to be changed. We get about 10 races per set of pads
with the P'field. Also these have come with a little more pad area than stock
pads, but I have also gotten them with the same area as stock from P'field.
Never asked why the difference, but this is one of those times where more is
probably better. I have heard that TR-7/8 pads fit and have more area, but
never checked. MGC pads are the same as Big Healey and TR-6. Won't work on the
B. There was also an article I read that said you can use half the caliper
from a TR2000 with the other half from a B and get a touch more braking. I
think they said this was virtually the caliper used on the V-8 Bs at a much
lower cost. Of course the article was from England where one can find
TR2000s!

For the rear, I have used the Vic Brit comp shoes, but don't have much brake
bias in the back because they lock up too easily. They also seem to last
forever this way! This is with stock shoes and drums.

Our race group lets MGAs run with many B components, including front ends,
engines, trans, rears, etc. Of course, when the Bs win, the A guys complain
and they push the Bs to a higher class. Talk about the pot calling the kettle
black, but that's racing, if you can't win on the track, get them on a
protest!

drs
(Doug Schrripa)