Re: David Hinton and JT5's

To: Larry Gallo <agallo@pcfl.net>
Subject: Re: David Hinton and JT5's
From: Paul Cangialosi <support@5speeds.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:50:49 -0400
At 09:13 AM 6/14/00 -0400, you wrote:
>By "JT5" is it implied that the box is a Warner T5 with Jaguar
>input shaft rework and shift tower alteration?  Seems like a
>pretty good concept, as the 3rd gear weakness behind big
>inch US V8s would not be a problem with 4200cc.  Am I
>anywhere near correct in this observation?
>Now, if someone could just legitimize the Austin Healey
>trans conversions, which I believe are Supra Toyota with
>special bellhousings (Smitty's)

Yes in a way you can say that except that nothing is reworked or shortened.
 We have our own tailhousings made as well as mainshafts and billet yokes.
If you'd like to see more pics go to the page at
http://www.5speeds.com/newjt5.htm .  Also a neat piece for the T5 and JT5
that we designed is the countergear stabilizer at
http://www.5speeds.com/t5.htm .  It really improves 5th gear and torque
capacity of the box.  The 3rd gear breakage problem on STOCK T5's is
related to DRAG RACE applications more that road race.

However the Rally Clutchless Gearset is in no way a Warner / Tremec product
and can handle 400 plus FT Lbs of Torque in a Road race situation.

The Supra transmissions unless outfitted with TRD close ratio gears really
have bad ratios for racing and or street driving..... just my opinion.
People convert to these boxes all the time.  It is a good CHEAP 5 speed.
They buy them used, hardly go through them, then get another used box when
the one that they have breaks.  Our product was designed to be 100 percent
servicable.  If a person blows a 5th gear in  a Supra Box where do they get
another 5th gearset from, and if they buy it from Toyota what is the price?
Thanks,
Paul
- Website: www.5speeds.com
- BenchCam: www.5speeds.com/guestbook2