Re: air boxes

To: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Subject: Re: air boxes
From: Craig Wright <craig@p-d-g.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:07:54 -0700
This thread talks about cold air and "Ram" effect. The cold air improvement
is measurable. Although I don't have any data, thermodynamic analysis can
calculate the HP improvement for a reduction in inlet temperature. Much of
the improvement is due to increased density of cooler air. The "Ram" effect
is more elusive on slow vehicles. Moony Aircraft used to come with a pilot
operated ram air intake. When the aircraft gained altitude the pilot was able
to open an inlet in the nose of the airplane to induce air directly into the
engine and bypass the filter. My recollection was that the increase in power
was sufficient to increase the speed of the airplane  2-3 mph. This was a
1-1.5% increase in speed. Since dynamic (ram) pressure and drag are both
proportional the velocity squared, the same percentage increase should be
realized at normal automotive speeds. As you can see this isn't going to
cause any neck snapping difference to our cars. In fact you might gain more
by taping over all of the body panel gaps.

Craig Wright