Re: air boxes

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: air boxes
From: "Jack Rubin" <jrubin@interaccess.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 10:16:16 -0500
couple of issues --

1) might not be legal if it's a "ram box" or modified intake or whatever,
depending on sanctioning body
2) good at collecting lots of on-track crud and sending it directly down
your carb throats
3) major issue is upsetting carburetion -- if it does produce a positive
pressure, and you don't match float bowl pressures, carbs will flood;
usually best results come with an open chamber so cool air is forced _past_
the carbs and they partake as they wish

take a look at the stock Alfa Giulietta Veloce box for a nice example of
providing forced air to both throats and bowls

lots of cars I see use at least some variation (often not a true box) to at
least separate carb intake from radiator output

the other Jack, still minus a 911