Re: Rookie Question-rain tires?

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rookie Question-rain tires?
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 19:26:40 GMT
No direct experience with them but the Hoosier STREET TD's look like they'd
be awful in the rain -- too little open tread.  The Hoosier VINTAGE TD's are
probably better, as they have more open tread area.  Given a choice, I'd
prefer a skinnier tire with more open tread pattern for the wet, and softer
compound if you have it available.

Whatever tire you decide to use, remember to ADD a couple pounds of air
pressure for rain.  Being a rookie, you probably have no baseline of tire
pressures for the dry, but ask around for advice.  You generally want to add
2 psi or so for rain, it helps maintain tire contact in the center of the
tread & helps force water out the sides to reduce hydroplaning.

If your suspension is adjustable (again, I understand -- rookie, no data
yet) you should SOFTEN the suspension a bit for rain.  But don't be
confused, as many people are -- SOFTEN the suspension but put MORE air
(harder) in the tires.  And don't forget the Rain-X (on the windscreen ...
haven't tried it on tires myself).

Regards,
Mark Palmer