Re: driveshaft safety loops

To: Kerry Seibert <ckchapel@fast.net>
Subject: Re: driveshaft safety loops
From: mike <mikerosen@home.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 10:46:11 -0500

Kerry Seibert wrote:

> I must say I am enjoying this recent safety thread on clutch/flywheel
> blankets and driveshaft loops.  I had given the driveshaft loop some thought
> before but now it is on my Spring "must do" list.  Does anyone out there
> make a commercially-made item that can be purchased from my local speed shop
> or is everyone making their own?  In making my own, I planned to purchase
> some flat stock, bend it in a horseshoe-type shape to fit up in my
> driveshaft tunnel and run a support piece underneath to tie it all together.
> Any suggestions?  MY question is: what thickness of material would be
> considered to be the useful "deterrent", after all, I'm looking to head off
> a dangerous situation, NOT contribute more shrapnel to it.
>
> Always learning something from this list . . . .. . . . Craig Seibert
> 1968 Morgan +8      #611   "Duff Morgan Racing"

I can tell you probably what not to do. When I did the restoration on the
chassis of my 1958 Canada Class Special, I had a local shop that builds stock
cars etc. do the roll over and drive shaft protection.

They welded in two hoops of 1/4" material that are approx. 5" wide...the type
they'd do for a V8.  Since my car is under 1L with a typical A series drive
shaft, I think I ended up over protected, which results in extra weight in the
chassis and a far harder job of drilling rivet holes for the tunnel.

Mike Rosen