Re: New Tire Regulations

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Tire Regulations
From: "Tom M." <tmatycho@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:16:43 -0800

MHKitchen@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/16/99 6:45:37 AM Pacific Standard Time, brian@uunet.ca
> writes:
>
> << This is the season to discuss such issues - my suggestion is to steer the
>  debate towards inclusiveness, and to creating communities of interest that
>  support uniform rules, rather than creating more differences between our
>  standards. >>
>
> Brian:
>
> I agree whole-heartedly.  While I favor radials as my car's already set up
> for them, I'll live with whatever is decided...BUT I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO
> KEEP CHANGING TO RUN WITH VARIOUS ORGANZIATIONS.

<snip  Btw, Myles, your caps key might be sticking.  Otoh, maybe you're
just excitable.>

Actually, in an era on increasing uniformity, I think that each club has
its own take on what a vintage car should be is one of the charms of the
sport.

HMSA, particularly in its spectator events, has more of an emphasis on
cars with significant racing history, and in its club events, more on
spirited but less than cut-throat competition.  Their events are fun,
even though--or perhaps partially because of--the lack of timing and
scoring.

CSRG I hesitate to even characterize because some of my closest friends
are in that club, and several are on the board.  It is user friendly and
I think they make a sincere effort to maintain a truly vintage venue and
to accommodate practical concerns.  I think they have their eye on the
big picture, which includes more than just how fast can someone
personally go in his or her car.

VARA is the first club I joined and raced with.  I have great regard for
the people who run that club.   They are a bit more on the "run what you
brung" order, but a proper HSMA or CSRG car can run with them and find
enjoyable racing as a Group One car.  If you want to be the first car to
take the checker, it may not happen.  If you're the first Group One car,
they give you a flag and, if you're not too far behind, a victory lap.
And while you're driving back to your pit, some people will applaud.

Then there's SF region SCCA-Vintage which almost seems to define a
vintage racecar as something that is no longer state of the art.  In
small bore production, my little Elva is lined up with Porsches with
aerodynamic properties and slicks that look to be 10 inches wide.  I
enjoy their events, nevertheless.  I know, Myles could say, "You're
always at the back of the pack, so how would this be a different
experience for you?"  But if "inclusiveness" is to be the rule, then I
suppose racing slicks should be the rule in this part of the world.

Finally, I note in all this uproar, the so-called rule has never been
articulated.  My understanding is the the CSRG board has a concern and
ultimately may make some changes in its rule.  My understanding is that
they've decided to look at this and may make some changes, depending on
what tires are then available in the coming season.

I expect the board of a vintage club of which I am a member to be more
concerned with the whole picture of vintage racing and preserving the
vintage aspects as opposed to pushing the performance envelope.

Tom Matychowiak
Elva Courier #43