Re: New Tire Regulations

To: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Subject: Re: New Tire Regulations
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 09:44:26 -0500
We've been fussing over tires in VARAC since I joined, some 12 or 13 years
ago.  At least, a number of the members have been fussing - the Board of
Directors has been of the opinion that we've had, and have, a perfectly
good tire rule all along.  The net of it is that we're only allowed to use
tires that conform in dimension to the Dunlop racing tires that would have
been available in the era of the car.  Since our cut-off date is mostly
1961, that means the Dunlop L series of tires.  We do allow radials, but
they're supposed to be of equal or narrower section and tread width than
the appropriate Dunlops, and carry the appropriate CASC mandated speed rating.

The current concern for some members is that, for Mini's, the 500L Dunlop
is narrower than any otherwise legal radial, although we have established
that the Yoko A-008's are allowed.  The Hoosiers are not, as they are
rather substantially larger than the standard tire.  The other area of
concern is the 13" sports cars, as they have to use the Dunlop 450L, which
is a notoriously narrow and entertaining tire.  There are no VARAC and CASC
legal 13" radial tires manufactured today. The real issue is that when our
members race with other clubs, they either are tremendously handicapped or
are buying two sets of tires and wheels, and they see this as bad.

I'm in favor of like-minded clubs banding together and creating uniform
standards so that members can be assured that they will be welcomed to an
even playing field when visiting other regions or clubs.  Parity between
cars and classes is harder to manage, but I've always wondered when the
Sprites started beating the E-types, anyway...   People who want to win
races have always bought the car that had the best combination to win under
the rules in hand, so I'm less concerned about striving for parity between
different types of cars.

There has been, and will continue to be, real implications to this
debate.  I have friends who have changed cars and classes both because the
rules were too lax and too strict.  I personally stopped running both the
Cooper-S and Midget that I used to race due in large part to frustration
over restrictive tire rules, and now race a sports racer - chosen at the
time because we felt that we could run it on tires that were at the same
time the right tires from a period correct perspective, and were acceptable
to everyone and used by everyone in the class.

This is the season to discuss such issues - my suggestion is to steer the
debate towards inclusiveness, and to creating communities of interest that
support uniform rules, rather than creating more differences between our
standards.

Brian