Re: Tow Vehicles

To: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicles
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:27:09 -0400
In London I once spent a very enjoyable half hour or so sitting with a pint
outside of a pub in SoHo.  The reason, other than the obvious, that I had
such a good time is that the traffic wardens were there, with a small fleet
of little flat-bed trucks that had a cherry-picker lift that swung out,
clamped to the wheels of the offending car and picked it straight up and
onto the bed of the truck.  Took about 3 minutes per car.  Quite
amazing.  Traffic was so dense that even if a driver had wanted to move his
car, he probably couldn't have, and would have been in danger of being
transported to the car impound inside his car!

My advice is to have aluminium ramps fabricated that are say 13' long and
have channels on the floor of the truck so that they have dedicated space
that they can always be slid into.  If you do it right, you never have to
actually pick them up - just pull them out into position, and then slide
them back.  Checkerboard aluminium plate for the top surface gives great
traction, even when wet.

Brian

Brian Evans
Director, Global Sales