Translation Service

To: vintagegarage@erols.com, gr743@csc.albany.edu, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Translation Service
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:11:37 EDT
In a message dated 7/15/99 7:40:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
vintagegarage@erols.com writes:

<< As a follow up, we'd have to find a track announcer who knows that LeMans
 is pronounced as it is spelled with an "S" at the end, and Renault is also
 pronounced as it is spelled with a "T" at the end.. >>

This has brought to my attention the fact that there are distinctly different
ways of pronouncing  a variety of automotive names and terms.  There is what
I'll call the F1 way, and the NASCAR way....so, as a public service, I've
listed some translations below....

TERM                                    "F1 Pronunciation"
"NASCAR Pronunciation"

Lemans                                  Lay mohn
        Lee mans
Renault                                         Ren oh
                Ren alt
Oil                                                     oil
                                earl
Jaguar                                          jag u whar
                jag wire
tires                                           tyres
                tars
truck                                           lorry
                pick em up
Citroen                                         see train
                sit tro on
Mini Cooper                                     mini cooper
                shit box

I'm sure there are many others...feel free to contribute...

Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128