Re: top speed?

To: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: top speed?
From: Calvin Krug <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 18:02:58 -0500
:

>Joe Alexander and Jack Drews both have TR4's with similar but not quite
>identical preparation. Joe's is a roadster. Jack's is raced with the
>windshield and Surrey top which, of course, includes the back window.
>
>Jack's car weighs maybe 150 lb. more and has more frontal area with the
>full windshield.
>
>The performance of these cars is virtually identical -- when we come out
>of a corner together, the cars have virtually equal acceleration and
>terminal speed.
>
>We are both surprised that performance is identical -- wouldn't you
>think that acceleration out of corners would be better with Joe's lower
>weight, and shouldn't he also have a higher top speed, with the lower
>frontal area?
>--

The drag due to the larger frontal area of the hardtop is probably about
equal to the drag caused by turbulence around the open cockpit of the
roadster.  If I remember correctly, an MGBGT is slightly faster than a
roadster, even though it has a taller windshield and more weight.  Then
again, maybe Jack has hidden a nitrous bottle on his car. :-)

Calvin Krug
bench racer