RE: Spark Plug wires/Ignitions

To: <MHKitchen@aol.com>, <derekp@Synopsys.COM>, <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Spark Plug wires/Ignitions
From: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@voyager.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 19:46:26 -0500
While on this shocking subject I have a bit to throw in, not about wires,
but on the general subject of spark.

A few years ago I decided to upgrade my ignitions system. I figured I could
for sure improve on Lucas. I got an Allison CD system with a with
photoelectric distributor and a hot Lucas Gold Sport coil. The car was great
until 4500 and then it would sputter and breakup and only with great
difficulty get much beyond that. I changed plugs, wires and nothing made it
better. I finally took it to a mechanic with an Allen Scope and he found the
problem quickly. I was getting a God awful high voltage (I don't recall for
sure, but I think it was like 80,000 volts) but only for a few short
milliseconds. It was not long enough to propagate a flame. He installed a
less potent coil and the voltage dropped down and lasted longer. Problem
solved.

This was a case of where you can add too many good things and achieve the
wrong results.

GJB