Getting into Vintage Racing

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Getting into Vintage Racing
From: "Alan Storey" <astorey@magni.berry.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:25:29 EST
Dear List,

I have some friends who are interested in getting into to vintage
racing with an early Spitfire (a 1965 Spit with the 1147cc engine).
What sort of organizations should they check with?  What
classifications are suitable for this car?

The reason we are interested in this particular car is I have plenty
of stock parts available,  and I'm pretty familiar with Spits since
I've owned several for the last 10 years.  I'd like to know what sort
of modifications are permitted and needed for racing, and I'd
appreciate information on who to contact for rules, drivers' schools,
organizations to join, etc.

We are located near the Atlanta area, .  In the past I've attended
some vintage races at Road Atlanta, but I really don't know how to
help them get started.

I apologize if this is too basic a question for this group, but I'd
appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Alan Storey