Re: end of season engine service

To: YCAPTAIN@aol.com
Subject: Re: end of season engine service
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 09:03:23 -0500
If it really is a new engine ( that is, a new build-up that hasn't got a
racing history of the actual parts inside the engine) with 8 races, then I
personally would do the following:

1.  Hot leakdown test.
2.  take the head off, inspect the bores.
3.  split the engine off the tranny, inspect all the journals, install new
bearings.  I don't like to put back old bearings even if they look great, I
have a superstition about bearing crush.
4.  Pull the cam out, inspect the lifters and cam surfaces.
5.  inspect the transmission, make sure the synchro surfaces are ok.
6.  change the oil pump
7.  change the rear main oil seal.

If all that's good, then I wouldn't actually rebuild it.  This qualifies as
a 'freshen".  Rebuild would include honing, rings, crank magnaflux and
polish or grind, resize rod big ends, timing chain, valvejob.

If it's a new build of a racing engine with history, then I'd look to get
about 50 hours out of it, and you probably have about 20 on it.  At 12:1
compression, you have a fairly mild Mini race engine, so you would be pretty
safe.

Brian

At 08:42 PM 11/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello All
>Ok the season is over I put 8 races on a new Mini Cooper engine...two were
>schools the other 6 I pushed it pretty hard and did foolish things that you
>would expect a new driver to do...over rev, miss shifts ect. Now with all that
>said I am not to sure what is the best road to take to make sure the engine is
>up and ready for next season. At season end it was running great....One person
>said if it ain't broke don't fix it, another said tear it down ...all new
>bearings, rings completly go thru it. My question is who is right or is it
>some where in between. Here's hoping some of you more experence guys who have
>owned and race their cars for some time can give me the answer.
>Thanks in advance for your help
>David
>67 Mini Cooper S  12 to 1 compression ratio

Brian Evans
Director, Carrier Sales
UUNET, an MCI WorldCom Company
(416) 216 5111