Re: Summer British Vintage Events?

To: "Ralph Edelbach" <edelbach@tcnj.edu>, <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Summer British Vintage Events?
From: "Patrick Young" <ply@adtrading.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 12:04:35 +1000
Ralph et al,

I think David Laver, Geraint Owen et al have done a good job at sending you
in the correct direction for good events to see in England.

However, I must add my 0.02 Euros to the Goodwood Festival of Speed
discussion.

I didn't go last year (well, after several years without rain it was obvious
there must be a downpour int he English summer at least once in 4 years!).
Equally, the previous year I went  on the Saturday but gave the Sunday a
miss because there are just too many people there (I watched the traffic
jams outside a friend's house nearby instead - they started at before 6 am
and cleared by about 1.20 just in time for the traffic to start in the
opposite direction from about 1.45!).

There are always great cars at Goodwood and they run up a cambered driveway
with - as I think Geraint Owen recently pointed out - varying degrees of
speed (frankly the smart guys are the ones not trying for a time as those on
the limit stand to kill a lot of folk if anything goes wrong in some parts
of the hill).  If you can see the cars, that's great - but you may find it
difficult to see a great deal due to the extent of the crowd.

So, all in all, I wouldn't be overly upset at missing the event, it's become
too popular for its own good in my opinion, which is a shame. Personally, my
interest waned dramatically when a vast proportion of the crowd started to
assess everybody's times on the hill and actually want to see flat out
competition...

Regards,

Patrick